* Turned pro in 1995, already married and a father.
* Reached fifth in the world rankings in July 2008 after another Travelers Championship triumph the previous month.
* A Ryder Cup regular since 2002, Cink has played 15 matches, winning four and losing seven.
(Compiled by Tom Pilcher; Editing by Sonia Oxley)
* By beating 59-year-old compatriot Tom Watson in a playoff, Cink claimed his first major title at the British Open.
* Best year was 2004, when Cink won the WGC-Bridgestone Invitational and finished fifth on the money list.
* Born May 21, 1973, in Huntsville, Alabama.
* His tour debut in 1997 yielded a win at the Travelers Championship.
TOUR SUCCESS. Factbox on American Stewart Cink, who on Sunday won his first major championship by claiming the British Open in Turnberry, Scotland:
* Took up the game as a youngster when his parents, single-digit handicappers, left him at the driving range as he was not old enough to go on the course